Monday, September 17, 2007

Raspberry & Blueberry Charlotte

So inspired was I by beautiful Charlottes, seemingly held together with a dainty ribbon that I decided I would make one just for the visual impact.

Thankfully I was not stupid enough to make the sponge fingers for the outside as well for if I did, I might have had to throw the entire cake away.

The base and height buildup, is achieved by 2 sponge finger bases, based as a piped circular spiral. In between, you have to lather on either creme of chocolate mousse.

I winged it with the chocolate mousse, and it didn't turn out as fluffly as I wouldav liked.
The baked sponge bases came out as a cross between a biscuit that wasn't kept in an airtight container, and a bad version of the Japanese, fish-shaped sponges, filled with anko beans.

I spent so much time resting this darn thing that I didn't have excess energy to run to the shops and get a ribbon to tie round its middle. In retrospect, I believe the whole point of a Charlotte (in my warped mind) is the ribbon it has around its 'waist' to resemble the summer hats that English ladies of yore wore in their teenage days.

The raspberry and blueberries were so sour... it couldav turned milk into cheese with just one glance. I lament once again on how fruits have to be plucked when unripe and then shipped to Asia. Sigh..

I will attempt this someday again, when I've found a better version of chocolate mousse and sponge fingers. Wait for me.. I will perfect it someday!

No comments: